BMS + Asset Protection
Building Management Systems – How effective is your investment?
BMS’s have been sold on the back of whole list of benefits:-
- Critical environment monitoring & initiating appropriate response
- Recording environmental conditions to demonstrate compliance
- Energy Management including lighting, air conditioning & heating
- Lift Monitoring
- Early Warning Systems -loss prevention
- Collection of building performance data for analysis – Legislative Requirements
However for most companies the saving of eneregy is the most important of the benefits and there is now more emphasis on monitoring energy use and reducing waste.
Current buildings regulations cover air conditioning and mechanical ventilation and require that 90% of a buildings energy use can be accounted for. In addition the Carbon Reduction Commitment will set energy performance targets that will require organisations to monitor their emmsions and purchase allowances for each tonne of CO2 emitted.
A BMS provides the information flows to help facilities management identify faults and trends in consumption.However the effectiveness of a BMS is dependent not only on its design and commissioning, but also the monitoring and response to the alerts generated by the system.
Automated alert responses such as sms or e mail are perfectly adequate in some instances but are not always ideal.
What if the sms message is not picked up? Who will check?
What if more information is required and constant monitoring required?
What if there is no site presence for additional verification?
Who makes the call to divert a resource or to sanction an emergency call out?
How ASM can help?
ASM can offer a bespoke service that provides centralised control to all aspects of building management. The aim of the service is to reduce the buildings overheads and increase efficiency by better utilisation of manpower, technology and information flows.
By interfacing cctv, access control with a building management systems we could then also control your security and provide visual verification , lone worker protection ( for example a engineer in a plant room) and emergency response guarantees.
- Monitor , log and archive data from your BMS system.
- Verify Alerts
- Insure key personal are contacted or initiate SOP’s
- Provide archived data to your maintenance teams
- Remotley reboot or shut down equipment and plant prevent irrevocable equipment failure
- Call emergency services
- Manage access in plant and other critical areas
The efficiency gains and the enhanced security provided by a centrally managed integrated control facility is compelling in any building with on site security, critical plant and or environment. For multiple sites there can be significant cost savings due to reduced manpower.